A delicious biryani made especially for vegetarians.
- Add in rice and stock/water to the electric cooker bowl. Cook using ‘Cooking’ setting. When rice is cooked it will automatically switch to ‘Keep Warm’ setting. When done, remove and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the cooker bowl and fry all the vegetables using ‘Cooking’ setting for 5 minutes, remove from cooker bowl and keep aside.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the cooker bowl. Fry whole spices using ‘Cooking’ setting for 1 minutes before adding onions. Fry for another 5 minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste, ground chillies, turmeric and fry for 3 more minutes.
- Then add in the vegetables and yoghurt. Cover and cook using ‘Cooking’ setting for 5 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Oil the bottom of the cooker bowl and spread half the rice into it. Layer over the rice half the vegetables then half the remaining rice. Layer over with vegetables and finish off with rice.
- Pour melted ghee on top and sprinkle with lime juice, chopped coriander, mint leaves and green chillies. Cover and cook using ‘Cooking’ setting for about 10 to 15 minutes or till it switches automatically to ‘Keep Warm’ setting and let it stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with golden fried onions and fried raisins.
- Serve hot with yoghurt salad (raita).
Simple. Colourful. Tasty.
- Slice the mushroom and place in the separator. Sprinkle a little water on the mushrooms and heat using ‘Cooking’ setting for 5 minutes. Make fine juliennes with the spring onion greens. Keep aside for garnish.
- Wash, scale and remove the innards of the fish. Rub salt on the fish.
- Wrap the fish in foil or butter paper along with the other ingredients.
- Pour 750 ml of water into the cooker bowl and bring to a boil using ‘Cooking’ setting. Place the fish on the steamer tray provided. Place the steamer tray on the cooker bowl and steam the fish for 20 minutes.
- Remove lemon grass stalk before serving.
- When done arrange the fish on a platter and arrange the garnish on top.
- In a deep glass bowl, combine the ghee and carrots and microwave on high power for 5 minutes, pausing and stirring after 3 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and microwave on high power for 5 minutes, pausing and stirring after 3 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm or chilled.
- Place the popped corn in a large brown paper bag and leave aside.
- Cook popcorn using the auto settings or for 2 – 3 minutes. Or In a thick heat-proof casserole, combine the brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup, salt and vanilla essence and microwave on medium power for 6 minutes, pausing and stirring after 3 minutes.
- Remove and mix in baking soda.
- Pour syrup over the corn to coat the unpopped popcorn.
- Return bowl to the microwave and cook for 2 minutes.
- Cool before serving. Or Alternatively cook the sugar on the stove, stir in the popped popcorn and serve hot.
- In a large bowl, toss together the strawberries, pears, flour and granulated sugar and spread out evenly in a glass casserole.
- In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, sunflower seeds and wheat germ.
- Mix in the melted butter and apple juice.
- Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the fruits and cook in a hot oven on convection setting for 15 minutes, pausing and tossing every 5 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- In a 500 ml glass bowl, combine the rolled oats, oat or wheat bran, raisins or mixed dried fruit, seeds and salt.
- Stir in 250 ml water, cover and microwave on high power for 2 minutes.
- The oats should be tender and water should be absorbed.
- If required, you can use the grill feature to get a crunchy top, continue to microwave 1 minute at a time.
- Leave to stand for 1 minute before serving.
- Arrange apple slices evenly in a glass casserole, cover and microwave on high power for 10 minutes, pausing to stir after every 5 minutes.
- Toss in the sugar and cinnamon powder and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Cool and mash with a fork till “chunky smooth”.
- Combine bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate in a shallow glass bowl and microwave on high power for 2 – 3 minutes. Stir to mix properly.
- In another glass bowl, pour the cream and microwave on medium power for 4 minutes.
- Add cream to the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the Amaretto \ brandy \ rum (if using) and serve hot with pieces of fruits or small pieces of cake..
- Combine the raisins with rum and microwave on low power for 30 seconds.
- Leave aside for 30 minutes till raisins have soaked up the rum.
- Microwave chocolate in a separate bowl for 30 seconds, stir and repeat the process for 30 seconds.
- Stir in cream, and butter.
- Stir well till almost cool and mix in the raisins.
- Drop onto wax paper in the shape of rocks and refrigerate till set.
- Grease and line with wax paper two 8” round microwave-proof cake pans.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla essence together till light and fluff y.
- In a glass bowl, pour 250 ml water and heat in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Mix with buttermilk and blend into the creamed mixture.
- Blend in the eggs. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well till smooth.
- Microwave each pan on low power for 8 minutes.
- Microwave again on high power for 1 minute at a time till toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Remove wax paper and cool thoroughly before frosting.